Coronavirus

Steve

2 hours ago, Steve said:

It looks like the San Diego Comic-Con is going to be canceled this year. The organizers and county officials don’t see a way to hold it and maintain social distancing.

We can hope businesses can be reopening by late July, but still with social distancing as an issue.  Unless the virus *really* recedes in the summer....which is possible, certainly...or some other radical shift occurs, there's no way events like that can be staged, that I can see.  But they're not gonna want to cancel prematurely, and it is at the end of July.

The next real big event that hasn't been called off...is the World Series of Poker.  That's scheduled to start late May.  But I gotta think that's no more than a couple weeks away from cancellation, at the latest.

13 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

We can hope businesses can be reopening by late July, but still with social distancing as an issue.  Unless the virus *really* recedes in the summer....which is possible, certainly...or some other radical shift occurs, there's no way events like that can be staged, that I can see.  But they're not gonna want to cancel prematurely, and it is at the end of July.

The next real big event that hasn't been called off...is the World Series of Poker.  That's scheduled to start late May.  But I gotta think that's no more than a couple weeks away from cancellation, at the latest.

Anime Expo 2020 is scheduled on the 4th of July weekend, but I don't think it will be happening. Japan is experiencing a new surge of cases and officially declared they are in an emergency situation, so that will affect things too.

2 hours ago, Iuz the Evil said:

Preach on. I've never been so frustrated at work. I was literally shaking with anger last Weds.

Glad I'm employed. I'm repeating that over and over. 

I just noticed something that hopefully is just a mistake. If it's not an error, I may just tell the company to shove it and risk unemployment for a while. 

And Smithfield has shut down a plant that providers 4-5% of America's pork products after a serious coronavirus outbreak among its workers.

We have not yet had the sort of crippling food shortages that get people killed, though. The question will become, at least for farmers, who can by their crops. Burning them seems a bit over-the-top.

In happier news, her IRS says many people will get their stimulus checks direct deposited today or tonight.