Coronavirus

Steve

37 minutes ago, Iuz the Evil said:

I've been on the pill since I was 20. Lisinopril/hydrochlorothyazide to be precise. 

Hey!  That's one of the ones I take!   :)

I was going to do an update tonight, but I've been busy elsewhere.

Suffice it to say that week 3 is over; I have zero symptoms, and if it wasn't for the two co-workers exposed at the same time I was, I would say I dodged a bullet.  But I am still not comfortable enough to actually move back into the house yet.

I desperately _want_ to, but I have no way to be certain I haven't just become a carrier.  :/   And the way it is in Georgia right now, you can't get tested if you aren't sick.

So what do I do?  I have no idea.

I guess I can live out here until either there's a cure, a vaccine, or everyone in the house gets it.   At least one of those I hope does not happen.

On the plus side, this was the most realistic Passover in a a few centuries.....

So how does one get exposed?

Click here for details:    https://i.imgur.com/qhvNsIM.mp4

5 minutes ago, Pariah said:

I had to block somebody on Facebook today because they keep spreading conspiracy theories about how radicals in our government are using the coronavirus as an excuse to take away our civil liberties bit by bit

I have seen similar sentiments. As bad as the direct health effects of this pandemic are, I am starting to believe that the accompanying sociological ramifications are going to be equally detrimental.

2 minutes ago, Ragitsu said:

I have seen similar sentiments. As bad as the direct health effects of this pandemic are, I am starting to believe that the accompanying sociological ramifications are going to be equally detrimental.

Probably.  These are forces and issues that've been simmering somewhat under the radar for a while...but toss them into this pressure cooker, and.......

3 hours ago, Pariah said:

There's a simple explanation for it, of course: Wizard's First Rule. People will believe any lie if they want it to be true, or if they're afraid that it might be true.

I go more with the first corollary to Bazza's "truth is the first casuality of war"....that trust cannot stand when truth falters.

Britain's death rate is similar to Italy's. But the death rate in Spain and Italy seems to have slowed and is decreasing which is good.

America now has one fifth of the total deaths but Europe has half of all deaths with Italy a fraction under one fifth of all deaths.

The great anomaly in Europe is Germany with only 2.5% of deaths to cases.

Death rates between countries are hard to compare because of the striking differences in testing and other practices.  South Korea tested everyone in sight and yet might still not be catching some totally asymptomatic patients.  American famously fumbled its testing response, still hasn't caught up, and maybe never will.  And testing regimes differ between states as well; here they were only testing people that obviously had coronavirus until a few days ago, and New York isn't testing people that die of coronavirus before they make it to the hospital.  Ecuador (IIRC) is counting deceased patients as recovered. 

2 hours ago, death tribble said:

Britain's death rate is similar to Italy's. But the death rate in Spain and Italy seems to have slowed and is decreasing which is good.

America now has one fifth of the total deaths but Europe has half of all deaths with Italy a fraction under one fifth of all deaths.

The great anomaly in Europe is Germany with only 2.5% of deaths to cases.

Death rates are not that meaningful, because they're dependent on several things:

1.  Identifying the cases.  You folk in the UK have mentioned, you started testing slow and late.  US people have noted serious variance in who can be tested;  NJ (and somewhat, IIRC, California) have severe issues with getting the tests processed.

2.  Identifying the deaths.  The nursing home deaths in France.  NYC apparently has a large upswing in coronary deaths, and it's suspected CV is involved at least some of the time.  

3.  Demographics...age, wealth, situation, etc.  

4.  Daily death rates have lag based on the progression of infection.

So for now, I focus in new cases.  It's not perfect either, of course, but if you're dealing with a country with what certainly looks like a mature, developed response system (bloody damn few, unfortunately), I think we can have reasonable confidence in what the data's saying.