Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

2 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Not sure if you were aware that in film parlance, "in the can" means that the project has already been filmed, although not necessarily edited. I'm pretty confident that's not yet the case for most Phase 5 movies.

Cheers for the advisory notice. Poor choice of words. I meant what Phase 5 is has been already decided. 

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, slikmar said:

I have to ask, 11 years, 20+ films, usually 3-4 a year, and, arguably even the worst better then half the stuff put out by other studios. How much longer did you want them to take?

on a slightly side note, when did July become horror movie month?

Hmmm.... how long?  20, 25 years 😁

But seriously, it is more about the really great storylines that were skipped, especially when the storyline they chose is the one that killed off half the Marvel universe.  A half that includes some of the best characters that didn't get a movie of their own.

I'm more disappointed by what was skipped than what was put out.

Even if the the worst Marvel movie is better than the best non-Marvel one :sneaky:

This whole, "Valkyrie's the new king of Asgard, so she needs a queen" business was just a remark by Tessa Thompson to get a rise out of people. I think it's being blown out of proportion. Then again, Taika Waititi is helming the movie, and God only knows where he could choose to take it. :rolleyes:

Mind you, I really liked Jaimie Alexander as Sif, and I thought her story was cut off far too soon, so I would appreciate seeing her back in some capacity. But with Tessa Thompson and Natalie Portman both playing the pseudo-barbaric warrior-woman motif, adding Alexander to the mix could be redundant overkill.

3 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

But with Tessa Thompson and Natalie Portman both playing the pseudo-barbaric warrior-woman motif, adding Alexander to the mix could be redundant overkill.

I'm not sure pseudo-barbaric warrior-woman overkill is even possible.  But I think we should try to find out.  We should try really, really hard.

On 7/31/2019 at 5:43 PM, Christopher R Taylor said:

Watching Natalie Portman try to look tough and strong is like watching Pee Wee Herman act like a pro wrestler

I thought she handled that type of characterization well enough in Annihilation, that I'm willing to keep an open mind for this movie. (Not that I intend to see it anyway.)

2 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Watching Natalie Portman try to look tough and strong is like watching Pee Wee Herman act like a pro wrestler

That was a visual I could have done without :nonp:

3 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

I thought she handled that type of characterization well enough in Annihilation, that I'm willing to give keep an open mind for this movie. (Not that I intend to see it anyway.)

I still haven't seen Annihilation.  The trailers didn't inspire me to watch.  Was it any good?

"Good" is such a subjective term. ;)  I will say that it's very well executed: visually stunning and imaginative, compellingly acted, effective at conveying wonder and fear, and often thought-provoking implying deep themes and concepts. But it's also creepy as Hell, frequently disturbing to watch, and leaves you confused as to what it was all about (which I suspect was intentional). Certainly not for everyone.

EDIT: FWIW most of the lead cast are women, taking on the kind of roles usually played in thrillers by men.

4 hours ago, Spence said:

I still haven't seen Annihilation.  The trailers didn't inspire me to watch.  Was it any good?

1 hour ago, Lord Liaden said:

"Good" is such a subjective term. ;)  I will say that it's very well executed: visually stunning and imaginative, compellingly acted, effective at conveying wonder and fear, and often thought-provoking implying deep themes and concepts. But it's also creepy as Hell, frequently disturbing to watch, and leaves you confused as to what it was all about (which I suspect was intentional). Certainly not for everyone.

EDIT: FWIW most of the lead cast are women, taking on the kind of roles usually played in thrillers by men.

Strong parallels with Lovecraft's The Colour Out of Space, but updated for modern times and modern imaginations.

13 hours ago, Ranxerox said:

Strong parallels with Lovecraft's The Colour Out of Space, but updated for modern times and modern imaginations.

12 hours ago, L. Marcus said:

Basically a cross between Colour and Tarkovskij's Stalker.

I guess I'll have to watch it now.....sigh....

23 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

This whole, "Valkyrie's the new king of Asgard, so she needs a queen" business was just a remark by Tessa Thompson to get a rise out of people. I think it's being blown out of proportion. Then again, Taika Waititi is helming the movie, and God only knows where he could choose to take it. :rolleyes:

Mind you, I really liked Jaimie Alexander as Sif, and I thought her story was cut off far too soon, so I would appreciate seeing her back in some capacity. But with Tessa Thompson and Natalie Portman both playing the pseudo-barbaric warrior-woman motif, adding Alexander to the mix could be redundant overkill.

And not like this isn't the direction hollywood is taking as the pendulum of male dominated movies has been swinging over the last few years the other way.

1 hour ago, slikmar said:

And not like this isn't the direction hollywood is taking as the pendulum of male dominated movies has been swinging over the last few years the other way.

True, but I hope they don't go full idiot mode and break the pendulum by swinging too far.  I enjoy movies with strong female leads and strong male leads.  I just want them to make sense within the context of the movie. 

I've watched movie where the actors male or female were simply not believable in the role. More movies and TV shows with well cast female leads is good.  Plugging in female actors just to pander or check a block on a PC checklist will just lead to bad shows and careers.