DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

42 minutes ago, Greywind said:

Then they need to release it in a format for all and not just those that subscribe to HBO.

It's so long between now and the time they'd be likely to doing tie in movies that it could be run weekly on so many channels that everyone would be sick of it.

13 hours ago, Matt the Bruins said:

I heard plenty of complaints and jokes at the time that Return of the King was too long, in addition to the last few hours of it being devoted to all the fake-out endings.

(I'd probably have forgiven all that if Jackson also taken the extra 15 seconds or so needed to replace "I am no man" with “But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Éowyn I am, Éomund’s daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him.”)

As much as I still prefer the animated RotK over Jackson's, "I am no man" works way better for the 95% of the audience who isn't a hardcore Tolkien stan.  Soliloquies aren't zero phase actions in film.

Now I need to go see if I can find a downloadable copy of "Where There's A Whip" online somewhere.  God I loved that song.

15 hours ago, Starlord said:

The only complaint I remember about ROTK was that there were too many endings...

Yet Sharky's End was still absent.

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

Now I need to go see if I can find a downloadable copy of "Where There's A Whip" online somewhere.  God I loved that song.

🖤

13 hours ago, Hugh Neilson said:

Pretty sure I recall my wife complaining as she headed for the washrooms...

I'm just saying that the first 2 movies were each 3 hours long already.  I know what I'm getting into with the third.  By that point if you're sitting in a theater for ROTK, then complaining about the length is like complaining that water is wet.

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

As much as I still prefer the animated RotK over Jackson's, "I am no man" works way better for the 95% of the audience who isn't a hardcore Tolkien stan.  Soliloquies aren't zero phase actions in film.

At the risk of thread derail, but I couldn't help myself.

10 hours ago, Bazza said:

only Zack’s count

Counts for what? There is no semblance of a DC cinematic universe, where continuity is actually a thing, to make anything "count". I know what she thinks she means, but it doesn't really make any sense given the incoherent state of affairs over there.

6 hours ago, Starlord said:

I'm just saying that the first 2 movies were each 3 hours long already.  I know what I'm getting into with the third.  By that point if you're sitting in a theater for ROTK, then complaining about the length is like complaining that water is wet.

Fellowship was the film that taught me not to drink the entire soda.  I was determined not to miss any of it... but it went way over two hours... and kept going past the end of the book.  When the credits finally rolled I could barely walk, which meant I was at the end of a very long line for the urinal.

38 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Fellowship was the film that taught me not to drink the entire soda.  I was determined not to miss any of it... but it went way over two hours... and kept going past the end of the book.  When the credits finally rolled I could barely walk, which meant I was at the end of a very long line for the urinal.

https://runpee.com/  :D

17 hours ago, Bazza said:

Patty Jenkins Says All DC Directors Don’t Consider Whedon’s Justice League Canon

15 hours ago, Bazza said:

Without putting words in Patty’s mouth, Joss’s film is forgotten, and only Zack’s count. 

14 hours ago, archer said:

I never figured the studio would spent the money putting out the snyder cut if they were planning on keeping the Whedon version as being the official one.

14 hours ago, Greywind said:

Then they need to release it in a format for all and not just those that subscribe to HBO.

And people say they have not replicated the comic book experience!

4 hours ago, Greywind said:

False endings? Everything that came after "the end" of the story was in the books. Did you people never read the appendixes?

For me the movies were pretty good, especially for the year they were made.   Were they perfect?  No.  But translating something from one medium to another is never perfect and regardless of who makes it they will have to appease executives and the people controlling funding. 

For me the show met one of my major requirements.  Would I have recognized it if I never saw the opening titles?  And I would have.

When I am discussing movie adaptations I usually ask "so, what is your opinion of the movie Starship Troopers".  If they thought it was a good adaptation, then their opinion is basically worthless and I move them into the "idiot cousin that no one ever listens to nor loans them a dollar ever".  

Soliloquies aren't zero phase actions in film.

I dunno you see it all the tme in action movies, there's a pause and the villain gives his entire plan away or everyone gets a few lines in, then the shooting starts again.  Just her "I'm a girl" reveal could have been enough to make the Nazgul king step back and pause a while as she talks.

False endings? Everything that came after "the end" of the story was in the books. 

Sorta, but it wasn't the actual events but how they were filmed and presented.  Each was done as a film ending, the way films are wrapped up.  Then there was another.  And another.... etc

41 minutes ago, Spence said:

But translating something from one medium to another is never perfect and regardless of who makes it they will have to appease executives and the people controlling funding.

This is very true. However, there were a number of changes Jackson made to the story that can't be blamed on meddling executives and/or the people controlling the money. To the extent to which the movie is a less-than-perfect adaptation, much of the blame rests squarely on Jackson's shoulders and his mistaken (IMO) belief that he was improving on Tolkien's story, using justifications like "audiences expect certain movie clichés and I felt obligated to satisfy them".

Cutting out the "extra endings" would not have improved the movie IMO, though perhaps transitioning between them more smoothly might have. Nor would making the movies shorter (I've already voiced my belief that the extended editions are superior to the theatrical versions). In my view, the one thing Jackson could have--and should have--done to make those movies "more perfect" was to not stray from the original story (at least those parts of it he chose to tell).

In my view, the one thing Jackson could have--and should have--done to make those movies "more perfect" was to not stray from the original story (at least those parts of it he chose to tell).

The Two Towers was the film he move violated the  original books, and in doing so actually made the movie longer in the process.  It almost made me not watch the third film at all, after loving the first so much.

11 minutes ago, zslane said:

This is very true. However, there were a number of changes Jackson made to the story that can't be blamed on meddling executives and/or the people controlling the money. To the extent to which the movie is a less-than-perfect adaptation, much of the blame rests squarely on Jackson's shoulders and his mistaken (IMO) belief that he was improving on Tolkien's story, using justifications like "audiences expect certain movie clichés and I felt obligated to satisfy them".

Cutting out the "extra endings" would not have improved the movie IMO, though perhaps transitioning between them more smoothly might have. Nor would making the movies shorter (I've already voiced my belief that the extended editions are superior to the theatrical versions). In my view, the one thing Jackson could have--and should have--done to make those movies "more perfect" was to not stray from the original story (at least those parts of it he chose to tell).

Well I'm not going to argue that all of his choices/changes were great, that I liked them all or that they were even necessary. 

I am just saying that the movies were enjoyable and far better than most of the adaptation atrocities we then to get inflicted on us. 

But I fully understand that the inserted "romance" was most likely a Follywood mandate.  If not by him, then the money people.  After all we can't have a movie without a love interest somewhere...:think:

2 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Sorta, but it wasn't the actual events but how they were filmed and presented.  Each was done as a film ending, the way films are wrapped up.  Then there was another.  And another.... etc

Point was it showed the ending of each member of the Fellowship. Most sailed. Some died

12 hours ago, Spence said:

Well I'm not going to argue that all of his choices/changes were great, that I liked them all or that they were even necessary. 

I am just saying that the movies were enjoyable and far better than most of the adaptation atrocities we then to get inflicted on us. 

But I fully understand that the inserted "romance" was most likely a Follywood mandate.  If not by him, then the money people.  After all we can't have a movie without a love interest somewhere...:think:

I have a little experience adapting stories from novels into a performance medium. IMO most of the elements from the books that Jackson excised -- not all, but most -- were not necessary to advance the plot or clarify what the audience needed to know, so could be sacrificed in the interests of time.

OTOH one of the most frequent criticisms of the novels over many years is that the romance between Aragorn and Arwen is underplayed over the course of the story. She essentially just shows up near the end to wed Aragorn and become queen. When contrasted with the longer and more vibrant presence of Eowyn, many readers felt that Aragorn picked the wrong consort. Of course Arwen's backstory is covered in an appendix, but one shouldn't need an appendix to appreciate their relationship. Jackson put their love story front and center, showed why Arwen was worthy of Aragorn, and why her choice to remain with him is so profound and bittersweet. It greatly enhances the emotional payoff of their eventual union.

The love between Aragorn and Arwen is well documented in the source material, so clarifying it (for audiences) is not really a case of diverting from the canon, but rather just devoting a bit more attention to it (in the main narrative). That's not much of an adaptation sin, in my view.