Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

4 hours ago, Old Man said:

spacer.png

What, this bull$#!t again? Didn't we already debunk this like a month ago?

I mean, it literally took me 30 seconds on Google to verify that this is a hoax and that the so-called FTBA (Freedom To Breathe Association) is not a government agency, but a group of crackpots on Facebook illegally using the Department of Justice seal on their propaganda. This card is, to quote Senator Romney, as fake as a degree from Trump University.

Wizard's First Rule, I guess.

6 hours ago, Pariah said:

I mean, it literally took me 30 seconds on Google to verify that this is a hoax and that the so-called FTBA (Freedom To Breathe Association) is not a government agency, but a group of crackpots on Facebook illegally using the Department of Justice seal on their propaganda. This card is, to quote Senator Romney, as fake as a degree from Trump University.

Honestly, it looks like it was written by a "Karen". FAIL

A "Sure, let's just go out to your car and see the disabled license plate or placard that goes with officially being classified as disabled by the Social Security Administration!" might nip that in the bud. Or pointing out loudly for the crowd's amusement that people with respiratory conditions making mask-wearing dangerous are the LAST ones who should be out flouting safety precautions.

The threatening language reminds me of those bogus warnings people put up about about theft of their online content being punishable by a year in jail, as if copyright infringement is something violators do hard time over.

17 hours ago, pinecone said:

To be fair, some folks cannot wear a mask, and are exempt under the ADA. But this sort of blatant abuse is wrong, and I hope there is regulation in place to be enforced. Maybe a "fraud" clause in the ADA...

They are exempt under the original State order as well, in California. You do not need to wear a mask if you have a medical condition which impairs your ability to breathe... what are you doing out in public though?!

On 6/24/2020 at 1:04 PM, DShomshak said:

The US Constitution offers no way to dissolve the Union, but countries *can* sell territory back and forth. (leaving aside the Louisiana Purchase, there's still the Gadsden Purchase, or buying Alaska from Russia.)

So for instance, if the US sold Pugetopolis to Canada to become part of British Columbia, LL and I could become fellow countrymen without having to abandon family, friends and my home. While the rest of Washington would become another deep red state to vote for Donald Trump.

Repeat to transfer, say, the 20 largest or most liberal urban areas to Canada, and most of us get what we want. Liberals get single-payer health care; Trump's base gets an all-red America that can change the Constitution to make him king and declare Eveagelical Christianity the national religion. A lot fewer black, brown and LGBTQ people, too! It also means losing a big chunk of economic productivity, but well, that's a small price for righteousness. God will provide.

I've thought about this, only my thought experiment had the President transferring some blue states to a less benevolent country (Russia, China, etc). I realized that this would have to happen by treaty, which would require approval of 2/3 of the Senate. I stopped worrying about it after that.

On 6/25/2020 at 4:44 AM, Pariah said:

I incidentally noticed the misspelling of "poses." Perhaps a tipoff to a fake, though with this administration you never know. <eyeroll> Covfefe Forever!

Dean Shomshak

33 minutes ago, DShomshak said:

I incidentally noticed the misspelling of "poses." Perhaps a tipoff to a fake, though with this administration you never know. <eyeroll> Covfefe Forever!

Dean Shomshak

My personal theory is that the misspelling exists because the card was written and printed in Russia.

7 hours ago, Iuz the Evil said:

They are exempt under the original State order as well, in California. You do not need to wear a mask if you have a medical condition which impairs your ability to breathe... what are you doing out in public though?!

Possibly things they Have to do like getting a broken tooth repaired/pulled, or a Medical appointment. Somethings can't be done online.

21 hours ago, Matt the Bruins said:

A "Sure, let's just go out to your car and see the disabled license plate or placard that goes with officially being classified as disabled by the Social Security Administration!" might nip that in the bud. Or pointing out loudly for the crowd's amusement that people with respiratory conditions making mask-wearing dangerous are the LAST ones who should be out flouting safety precautions.

The threatening language reminds me of those bogus warnings people put up about about theft of their online content being punishable by a year in jail, as if copyright infringement is something violators do hard time over.

Sorry the no need to prove I'm disabled is in the rule, and for a reason. Privacy is a right as determined by the supreme court. I am just as enraged by conmen as any one else, but I don't think this needs vigilante enforcement. Though, just having such a (not required, or issued) card might be a "tell" that this person is a fraud....

35 minutes ago, pinecone said:

Sorry the no need to prove I'm disabled is in the rule, and for a reason. Privacy is a right as determined by the supreme court. I am just as enraged by conmen as any one else, but I don't think this needs vigilante enforcement. Though, just having such a (not required, or issued) card might be a "tell" that this person is a fraud....

Face shields are also acceptable, and allow people to breathe. Some of the bartenders are using them at work.