Coronavirus

Steve

On 11/25/2020 at 3:01 PM, Clonus said:

"Let's open the schools," the premier of Alberta said.  "It'll be fine..."

To put the numbers in context, the population of Alberta is about 30% of Ontario, about half of Quebec and B.C. is about 15% higher (wow...Manitoba is about 30% of Alberta and maybe 15% higher than Saskatchewan - it's bad over there), so those numbers are scary. 

While I am not the biggest fan of the Alberta approach, my understanding is that few cases trace back to the schools.  We need to target measures to the traced contacts and stop the spreader events.

Alberta announced new restrictions on Nov 23, so we will hopefully see some improvement, but it will be a couple of weeks, as we know.  Some things I appreciated about the announcements:

- the start that we will not apologize for being clear - the biggest cause of COVID spreading is social events, and they have to stop.  $1,000 tickets and up to $100,000 if charges are laid, so here's hoping.  We are still spiking, two weeks after Diwali.  Which is no different than spiking after Christmas or Thanksgiving, just a different community that has big social gatherings.

- the statement before business restrictions that not even one case traces back to hairdressers - not because they aren't high risk,  but because they are taking this seriously and using prudent protocols to minimize that risk.

- limited closures, but significant restrictions on capacity, and targeted restrictions on the high-spread places (e.g. restaurants/lounges can have only seated eating and drinking; 6 max at a table, all from the same household (people living alone can have a cohort of 2 other people - the same two for the entire period); no entertainment; no movement between tables; etc.

- masks required in the workplace except alone in an office or a physically distanced or barriered cubicle.

- recognition that many organizations are already following these, or similar, protocols - it's the few that are not who need to be targeted.

A more recent quote from the Alberta Minister of Justice and Solicitor-General, in the context of expanding the number of peace officers empowered to take enforcement actions:

“To those who refuse to accept the reality of the situation, I understand that this is an extraordinary encroachment on your personal liberty, but you must accept these temporary measures,” Madu said. 

Meanwhile, Manitoba has done the right thing in their closures (it took some pressure) and required those allowed to stay open because they provide essential goods and services to provide ONLY those essential goods and services (not letting Wal-mart and Costco keep on selling everything because they have a grocery aisle, for example).  But we have a restaurant owner in Ontario defying the rules,  and getting plenty of crowdfunding.  There is a pretty significant minority who still figure their "rights" trump public health considerations.  Sorry, but the right of the population to limit risk of illness trumps your right to a bare face and throwing darts in the bar.

30 minutes ago, TrickstaPriest said:

Phoenix.  Stepping outside in the summer is literally the exact same sensation as opening an oven.

The air conditioner in my old car would send out a blast of extremely hot air when first turned on. It would cause my handlebar to droop a bit if I didn't shield it from the hot air. And that was using an extreme hold wax.

Yuma is a little worse than Phoenix.

But it's kinda splitting hairs.  I've been in Yuma in....June, IIRC, and Tucson in August.  Phoenix, been there but don't recall the months.  They're all insane.  Vegas a couple times, but always in the fall.  And of course there's Palm Springs, but I haven't been there.  It's a bit higher still.  

It's bad enough down here in southern New Mexico...and we run 10 degrees cooler.  105 is average for Vegas or Phoenix in July;  it's exceptional for us.  Not close to a record, but we don't get that hot more than a few days a year, and reasonably often, don't see it at all.  102 is quite bad enough for me.  It does get notably cooler here in winter, but it's still not bad.  Doesn't drop much below the upper teens regularly;  single digits is *rare*.  Of course, I was here in Feb. 2011, when it hit the deep freeze...for areas like this anyway.  But that was a major freak.  Rolling blackouts throughout town because the power plants were having trouble running.  Wasn't a fun few days.

Had a friend who was in Dallas for one of the national political conventions during summer a couple of decades back.

Not only was it like an oven but the humidity was absurdly high. And they weren't allowed by the campaign they were working for to remove their suit jackets when walking from one place to another outside or while attending an outdoor campaign event.

The only solace they had was watching the (very few, very brave) protestors who were staying outside for endless hours without getting to go inside an air conditioned building from time to time to escape the heat.

I typically wear a mask for most of an 8-hour shift at work (taking it off during breaks, if I'm alone in the break room). They're not the most uncomfortable piece of PPE that I wear, and I can breathe just fine. Wear a mask, get accustomed to it, and stop being a hazard to everyone.

(This is directed more at theoretical anti-maskers, not any particular poster.) 

This surge is indeed biting us hard. When I picked up some sort of digestive bug this past week (low appetite, strong localized headache, certain other GI symptoms that are impossible to discuss politely) the first thing I asked my primary clinic is whether I needed a COVID test. I have yet to be told I do, but I have this sneaking suspicion in the back of my mind.

I have had two COVID tests this year, one in about May and one in July prior to a procedure. Although both turned out negative, that means absolutely nothing now. Instead of getting better at self0-isolating, I've been getting worse. The cabin fever is getting to me, and in general I am not faring well at all even though I'm not showing true COVID symptoms.

To follow up briefly, I just received a posted note from my property manager at my apartment building. The only visitor I will be allowed for the duration of the surge is my care assistant, plus whoever delivers groceries and the like. This applies to everyone in the building, regardless of underlying health conditions.

It may not practically change much (and I still haven't heard whether I need a COVID test), but it did strike home the sort of situation I'm in. I don't know whether I should be upset for being put under all these restrictions, or relieved that my management actually gives a damn whether residents get sick.

5 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

This surge is indeed biting us hard. When I picked up some sort of digestive bug this past week (low appetite, strong localized headache, certain other GI symptoms that are impossible to discuss politely) the first thing I asked my primary clinic is whether I needed a COVID test. I have yet to be told I do, but I have this sneaking suspicion in the back of my mind.

My wife and I had the exact same thing last week. It's been going around up here too.