In other news...

tkdguy

12 hours ago, Pariah said:

I read about this one. Apparently you can choose a low-profanity mode for the Samuel Jackson voice.

SLJ saying “gosh darn” just isn’t the same. 

And i I don’t trust any virtual digital assistant no matter which tech company makes it. #bigDataTurnOff 

Theatre chains are increasing security, at least for a while, during the run of the new DC Comics film Joker.

A few years ago, a man claiming to emulate the Joker shot up a theater in Aurora, Colorado that was giving a screening of The Dark Knight Rises. fears about copycats at the release of the new film, which stars Joaquin Phoenix in a possible origin of Batman's nemesis ("If I must have a past, it might as well be multiple-choice!") going from failed standup comic to mass-murderer, are real enough that some chains are prohibiting costumes altogether at all theaters showing the film.

Joker is rated R and pulling down 77% on Rotten Tomatoes. I'm not going to see it, because it would trigger me in innumerable ways and people are scared of the mentally ill enough as it is. It's the sort of thing that could make people in need of care decline or refuse to seek help out of fear of the social consequences.

8 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Theatre chains are increasing security, at least for a while, during the run of the new DC Comics film Joker.

A few years ago, a man claiming to emulate the Joker shot up a theater in Aurora, Colorado that was giving a screening of The Dark Knight Rises. fears about copycats at the release of the new film, which stars Joaquin Phoenix in a possible origin of Batman's nemesis ("If I must have a past, it might as well be multiple-choice!") going from failed standup comic to mass-murderer, are real enough that some chains are prohibiting costumes altogether at all theaters showing the film.

Joker is rated R and pulling down 77% on Rotten Tomatoes. I'm not going to see it, because it would trigger me in innumerable ways and people are scared of the mentally ill enough as it is. It's the sort of thing that could make people in need of care decline or refuse to seek help out of fear of the social consequences.

There's more than social consequences. I had a family member share in confidence to a co-worker that he'd rather not be team leader due to the additional stress and having had to seek treatment for stress-related problems a few years before. That co-worker went straight to the site boss and blabbed everything.

My family member was suspended for four months (with pay) because they didn't want someone who suffered from stress at the job site (despite the fact that the whole field is considered to be employment in a high stress job). The union couldn't do anything because of the "with pay" part.

When he was allowed back to work, he was transferred to a much lesser desirable place to work and was given what amounted to a gag order not to mention that he'd ever been treated for anything or he'd be subject to further disciplinary action.

Then either the employer or the people at his former place of employment went out of their way to contact the site boss (and perhaps several other people) at the new place of employment and told them all the details which they knew about his attempts to seek mental health over stress. So in a few days, everyone at the new place knew a "crazy" person had come to work with them and made his life hell.

After a few weeks, that site boss decided that my family member was more trouble than he was worth and transferred him out to another job site. Each transfer was a huge burden to us as the employer provided no assistance in moving the large volume of office material from one job site to the next. But at least this second transfer didn't come after the employer giving the employees 4 months to steal hundreds of dollars of personal items from the "crazy" person.  (Note that the family member had been denied access to go back on to the job site to retrieve those personal items.)

So at the third job site, he was finally able to settle in and go back to work.

Note that this was a unionized government job, where you would expect a higher standard of professionalism than some random private sector job.

3 hours ago, Hermit said:

A police officer murders someone and actually is found guilty.

So many folks are surprised that it appears that a cop has faced the same consequence a non police officer would have in the same situation.

I'm one of them. This makes me wonder what made them so quick to throw her under the bus allow justice to be served.

24 minutes ago, Hermit said:

10 years...

https://www.npr.org/2019/10/02/766454839/amber-guyger-ex-officer-who-killed-man-in-his-apartment-given-10-years-in-prison

Part of me is thinking that, if she had a clean record then perhaps that explains it..

another part of me is thinking "Some Drug users get more than this"

She didn't have a clean record