Coronavirus

Steve

18 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

I find it interesting that all your examples of success, or potential success, are islands or an island continent. While not a crucial factor, it must be easier to keep the virus from breaching your castle when you have one helluva moat. ;)

Closed borders are closed borders though. How easy is it to travel between the US and Canada at the moment?

Australia's success depended in part on closed state/territory borders. When Victoria was in hard lockdown, the rest of the country was pretty much going about its normal business.

For what it's worth, we had a state election in Queensland yesterday. The government that has been managing the crisis was re-elected easily. The opposition that wanted to "open up" was beaten like a drum, despite the Murdoch media (all the major newspapers in the state) actively campaigning for them.

57 minutes ago, Cygnia said:

Sense of smell is gone (tested on several usually potent items), sense of taste is still around.  Fever has died down as has my muscle aches.  Runny nose and scratchy throat.  Husband has COVID now too.

Hopefully this is the worst you get, unfortunately it'll probably hang around for 2 weeks or so. Hang in there, we're all cheering for you.

1 hour ago, Cygnia said:

Sense of smell is gone (tested on several usually potent items), sense of taste is still around.  Fever has died down as has my muscle aches.  Runny nose and scratchy throat.  Husband has COVID now too.

Dang! My thoughts and prayers are with you.

1 hour ago, Cygnia said:

If your sense of smell it gone, it's time to clean the cat's litter box.

It just really hits home how much I take my sense of smell for granted.  I love tea, but without scent, it may as well be tart water.  I'm making quick pickles, but now I can't smell the rice vinegar or chili pepper in it.  We roasted carrots last night , but I really couldn't tell I added cumin and coriander to them.

No garlic.

No wine.

No wood smoke.

No cinnamon.

No proofing yeast.

Dr. Fauci had already committed the cardinal sin to Donald Trump -- publicly contradicting Donald Trump. He was all but gone from the C-19 task force already. Now that he's actually publicly criticized Trump his dismissal is a foregone conclusion. But I'd expect him to be the first rehire if and when Joe Biden takes the White House.

OTOH this is one more nail in Trump's campaign coffin. Polls show that many more Americans trust Fauci to handle the pandemic than they do Trump.

44 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

Dr. Fauci had already committed the cardinal sin to Donald Trump -- publicly contradicting Donald Trump. He was all but gone from the C-19 task force already. Now that he's actually publicly criticized Trump his dismissal is a foregone conclusion. But I'd expect him to be the first rehire if and when Joe Biden takes the White House.

I mean, ultimately he (Fauci) is in a political position.  But our coronavirus response has suffered from a lack of direction and planning, and that comes from collaboration with the doctors/scientists through someone in said position...

Unfortunately my area is just starting to surge again as well.

2 hours ago, TrickstaPriest said:

I mean, ultimately he (Fauci) is in a political position.  But our coronavirus response has suffered from a lack of direction and planning, and that comes from collaboration with the doctors/scientists through someone in said position...

Unfortunately my area is just starting to surge again as well.

Dr. Fauci may have been a political appointee, but his job was supposed to have nothing to do with politics. But he was only an adviser, without real authority to set public policy. He tried to be diplomatic while still providing the President, and the public, with honest information and advice. But Trump chose to make the issue his being right, no matter how wrong he is. Fauci wouldn't outright lie just to make Donnie look good.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-fire-fauci-easily-make-messy/story?id=73971488

Fauci is a career civil servant, not a political appointee, and his protected by law from political retaliation. If the president wanted to fire Fauci, he would have to claim some kind of performance problem or misconduct – a tall order for a doctor has served six presidents and is highly regarded among public health experts.