RIP Rush Limbaugh

Steve

You know, when he started getting known in the late 80s early nineties, I actually listened to some of his rants and kind of nodded.

I was.. an idiot then.

In a year or two after that he got too full of BS for even younger version of me.

And now I see the damage he did to the country...

I'll say condolences for his loved ones and leave it at that.

6 hours ago, Hermit said:

You know, when he started getting known in the late 80s early nineties, I actually listened to some of his rants and kind of nodded.

I was.. an idiot then.

In a year or two after that he got too full of BS for even younger version of me.

And now I see the damage he did to the country...

I'll say condolences for his loved ones and leave it at that.

Fellow former idiot here.

Rush Limbaugh was the poster child for the narrow minded backward attitudes that have held this country back for so long. The sad part is that he basically went through his life being as much of a POS as possible and got rewarded for it. Now, he'll be the martyr for "traditional" conservative values. I feel a bit for his immediate family and friends, but that's as far as my sympathies go.

Limbaugh had a segment on his radio show at one time (and I may be dating myself here, but I am sure I am not the only old fart on this board) where he would read out loud the names of homosexual men who had died of A.I.D.S., then _cheered_ and laughed and sounded party horns and those little spinning grinder noise makers.

I have heard this firsthand, with my own ears, and often enough to know it was a regular feature of his program.

I have heard him do segments "proving" that minorities are the cause of all violent and drug-related crime.

And most dispicably, at least to me, I have on more than one occasion via both television and radio, I have heard him, like so many others, use the Bible to "justify" not just this, but numerous other vile things he has put forward.  To be fair, he is not unique in that. Lots of folks who have never studied it think they know what it says.

I have heard him beat the Law and Order drum and blow the Crime and Punishment trumpet so loud and so long as to become his own parade-- and specifically I remember his indignant outcry at the horrors of drug abusers not being cast into prison for decades at a time.

And I remember his own pleas for leniency and exemption when he was discovered to be one of these very same hardened criminals.

I am commanded to find good somewhere in all people, and to love them because, as my Father's children, they are all my brothers and sisters.  Alas, I have to simply assume that there was some part of Limbaugh that was worth knowing, as I have never seen it for myself.

All that said, I suspect the tumors that killed him were perhaps the least cancerous thing about him.

I'll not shed tears for Limbaugh.

I did appreciate his show when he played tape of a politician in his own words and not taken out of context then a later statement by the same politician in his own words and not taken out of context which completely contradicted the first statement. Usually those incidents came about because the politician was saying one thing to one audience and another thing to another audience so he was sucking up to each audience by telling them exactly what they wanted to hear.

In my opinion, that should be a regular feature of real journalists whenever they interview a politician rather than the right-leaning "news" networks throwing softball questions to the right-leaning politicians they interview and the left-leaning news networks throwing softballs to the left-leaning politicians they interview.

Of course Limbaugh only gave that treatment to Democrats and to whatever few Republicans fell out of favor with him rather than treating every politician equally. But in my opinion all politicians deserve to be treated harshly and hostilely unless the politician being interviewed is consistently behaving in an ethical manner.

I do idly wonder what will happen to his radio network. Years ago it seemed like they found local talk radio hosts to do fill-in duty when Rush took a day off, which made for an interesting change of pace. In more recent years though, it seemed like they found a cadre of guest hosts who tried to outdo each other on "who could be more extreme and completely unreasonable than Rush Limbaugh". I don't particularly think it would serve the country well to hand over his whole network of established radio stations to someone who's intentionally been trying to out-Limbaugh Rush Limbaugh.