Coronavirus

Steve

One of Lady P's oldest friends is in the hospital with COVID-19. He's been there for several days, and a couple of days ago he went on a ventilator. He has pneumonia and may be developing blood clots. He's strong, but the prognosis isn't good.

For the curious, yes, he's a COVID/vaccine conspiracy theorist.

His wife abandoned him and their four kids a couple of years ago because she didn't want to be a mother and wife anymore. If he doesn't make it, those kids are going to be stuck with an egg donor (I won't call her a Mom) who has already made it clear that she doesn't want them.

The whole situation sucks.

Moderators, are we at the point yet where we can open up use of the F-word for COVID as well as cancer?

22 hours ago, Pariah said:

Moderators, are we at the point yet where we can open up use of the F-word for COVID as well as cancer?

Unless Simon or someone else higher up chooses to over ride me, in this thread, folks can post "Fuck Covid". I'll even make a note of it in the F word sticked thread. 

My sympathy for you, your wife, her friend, and his poor kids. 

2 minutes ago, Hermit said:

Unless Simon or someone else higher up chooses to over ride me, in this thread, folks can post "Fuck Covid". I'll even make a note of it in the F word sticked thread. 

Fuck that shit.

Oh...wait...no.  Fuck, Covid.  That's better.

Practical question for someone who teaches in the physical classroom in this morass.

Is there a way to keep your glasses from fogging up while lecturing while wearing a mask?

I would take my glasses off but then I am doing the Mr Magoo thing in front of class.

1 minute ago, Cancer said:

Practical question for someone who teaches in the physical classroom in this morass.

Is there a way to keep your glasses from fogging up while lecturing while wearing a mask?

I would take my glasses off but then I am doing the Mr Magoo thing in front of class.

Look into AirPop masks -- they have a fantastic sealing mechanism (for me, at least).  Expensive, but worth it (IMO) for the protection.

5 hours ago, Cygnia said:

Makes me sad that people still have to have this discussion.  I do like this response:

You can’t fight the sea of misinformation and selfishness your family is mired in all by your lonesome, but you can set your own risk tolerance and take steps to protect your own life (well-being, sanity, peace, enjoyment), one holiday at a time. If you didn’t love them, it would be easier, but you do, so here we are. I know, I thought this year would be better, too, but it isn’t. 

Yeah, and I agree that this year will be harder at the holidays for people stuck with this conflict.  

53 minutes ago, Cancer said:

I had a nurse show me how to solve this by positioning the mask one time, but I still only hit that sweet spot some of the time. Also, getting that nose area of the seal tight. I pre-bend the nose metal bendy bit (technical term) before I put on the mask, so it's kind of rounded and nose-shaped on the bend, and the bend is centered. That seems to help. So, my advice is: Find a nurse that wears glasses and have her show you how to avoid the fog.

I've already lost family to Covid. I no longer have any sympathy for anti vaxxers or anti maskers. I tried to be considerate, but that doesn't work when only one side is doing it. At this point, I don't care what sort of pain and suffering they receive. Let them feel what they're inflicting on others. It's wrong...but that's where I'm at right now. 

1 hour ago, Cygnia said:

This could easily go in the Scary thread... 😕

'Vigilante treatments': Anti-vaccine groups push people to leave ICUs

When I see a story like that...I *want*, like Dr. Mid-NITE, to feel remorse for wishing ill of these <BLEEP><BLEEP><BLEEP><BLEEP><BLEEP><BLEEP><BLEEP><BLEEP><BLEEP><BLEEP><BLEEP><BLEEP>....my attitude shifts.  They don't deserve it.

And the people who continue to push the narrative and the lies...I've said it before, but IMO they are committing crimes against humanity.  And I take that statement very seriously...but there've been 70,000 deaths in the US from Covid in the last 2 months.  70,000 that did not have to, and should not have, died, and wouldn't had not the anti-science, anti-vax liars and profiteers driven the narrative.  So ethically, far as I'm concerned, they're guilty of reckless endangerment, I think is probably the closest charge.  But 70,000 times?  That rises in my book to a crime against humanity.

Gods.......I am occasionally hit with bouts of depression...usually mild.    I think it cropped up again last weekend/first part of this week.  News like this isn't the only factor, to be sure, but it  serves as a form of condensation nucleus from which another episode can build.  And this story is exactly the wrong type.....

So, Doc...I hear ya.  I hear ya big time.  My advice:  forgive yourself.  

4 hours ago, Dr. MID-Nite said:

I've already lost family to Covid. I no longer have any sympathy for anti vaxxers or anti maskers. I tried to be considerate, but that doesn't work when only one side is doing it. At this point, I don't care what sort of pain and suffering they receive. Let them feel what they're inflicting on others. It's wrong...but that's where I'm at right now. 

3 hours ago, tkdguy said:

Sorry about your relatives, Dr. MID-Nite. I completely understand your position. You're right; they don't have any consideration for others, so I don't feel a lot of sympathy for them either.

My Mom used to say, "If you're looking for sympathy, try the dictionary. It's between sh*t and syphilis."

That seems appropriate just about now. 

On 9/24/2021 at 4:26 PM, Cancer said:

Also as noted before, making sure your mask has a tight seal around the nose is very helpful. I try a couple of hard exhales after putting on the mask to test how good the seal is.

I keep a cloth mask and a disposable mask on me then switch between them whenever fogging starts to become a problem. Even with a good seal, your mask is going to get uncomfortably moist if you're projecting your voice.

Talking while wearing a mask creates problems for me because I have a full beard which makes the mask ride up and ruins the seal around the nose. The only way to fix that is to touch the mask and refit it while resealing around the nose. If you have to do that, I'd recommend having some hand sanitizer on your desk and using it before touching your mask.

On 9/24/2021 at 5:26 PM, Cancer said:

Hitch your mask higher up your nose, until its upper edge is between your nose and the frame of your glasses. Then push the frame firmly down. It will make a tighter seal, although you will have to adjust it from time to time as your face shifts while you talk. You'll also want a mask that's wide enough that pulling it higher won't lift it past your chin.

I find the disposable masks with the flexible strips on the upper edge give the best seal with this method.

On 9/24/2021 at 6:50 PM, Dr. MID-Nite said:

You're only human, Doc.  I have likewise lost family to Covid, and...well, you and I are pretty much in the same boat.  I have dear friends and family who are in the anti-vax/anti-mask camp, and so far I've kept the peace by staying away from them and not bringing up this topic.  I just...can't bring myself to feel much sympathy for them when they get it (one anti-vax family did, and in two cases it led to pneumonia).

There are more words swirling around in the pea soup that is my brain, but right now they aren't taking shape.  I just can't think rationally when I try to empathize with the anti-vax crowd.