In other news...

tkdguy

16 hours ago, Cygnia said:

16 hours ago, Pariah said:

I wasn't always a fan of his positions, but it seemed like Bob Dole was a decent human being who was just trying to do what he thought was right.

I miss that in today's political climate.

13 hours ago, Cancer said:

The Bob Dole - Daniel Inouye friendship that developed in a military hospital after each was seriously wounded in WW2, and persisted for life while they were US senators on opposite sides of they aisle, is how politics in this country should work; and I salute both men for all their service, as that generation of Americans dwindles inevitably away.

There are a lot of reasons why they were called "the greatest generation," but the desire to be of service, to help people in times of need, and to not fear change or challenges, were qualities that many of them shared, whatever other beliefs they may have held. People like that truly are dying off, and we may have to hope for a younger generation to rediscover those qualities.

As Cancer stated, Bob Dole & Daniel Inouye were on opposite sides politically, but still respected each other. That kind of friendship and respect is just not seen anymore (as LL said). In fact it is more mutual abject hostility than friendship. If this trajectory continues then another civil war is looming. 

11 hours ago, Cancer said:

Chinese rover on lunar far side has seen a cube shaped object, plan is to move closer and investigate

Speculations and reactions can go in the "Cancer Stop Trying to Destroy the Universe" thread.

Didn't think they'd find my secret base so soon. Sigh. Time to pack up, I guess. The self-destruct should take out the rover at least. So, some satisfaction in that.

The enforcement angle of the Texas abortion law has been deemed a violation of the Texas constitution by a state district judge.  The grounds are (from the NYT)

In a 48-page opinion, Judge David Peeples found that the approach, which had been seen by anti-abortion groups as its greatest strength, unconstitutionally granted standing to those who were not injured, denied due process and represented an “unlawful delegation of enforcement power to a private person.”

The judge's arguments pretty much mirrored the comments we made when the bill came out.  The abortion clinics are happy, but not prepared to resume normal operations;  the liability issues are simply too grave for them to proceed without a completely decisive ruling...the Texas or US Supreme Court.  

3 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

Are the procisions anywhere for reverse-secession?  We can, as a nation, just vote out a couple of states?  I'd even be willing to out up one of those walls they are so fascinated with.

I heard once, long ago (like, back in the 1970s) that a group of Texans proposed building a wall around the state to keep the "riff-raff" out.  They stopped when they learned that most of the donations were come from adjoining states.  :winkgrin:

Maybe it was just a joke, but it's too amusing and fitting to not try passing it off as a true story.