DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

Just now, death tribble said:

Mine is mostly British as it was what I grew up listening to on the radio and discussing with friends at school and then at the Polytechnic. So anything like Duran Duran (especially from Rio), Siouxsie and the Banshees, Joy Division, Ultravox, Echo and the Bunnymen and The Cure really appeals.

Oh those bands are on the list as well. (Well except the Cure), but  Depeche Mode was/is one of my favorite bands just due to the consistency of the stuf I like, even their early stuff.  US Music in the 80's was British music on certain stations. (I avoided hair bands).

Being set in the 1980s does not get me excited for the new Wonder Woman movie, in fact, it sorta makes me cringe. But I hope the movie is good despite that. I have a feeling, however, that it won't come close to capturing the magic and charm of the first film.

In terms of the broader picture, I have yet to see any solid evidence that WB/DC has "turned things around" for their movie division. So far it is still all just scatter-shot material that does not fit together well (if at all), and has an incredibly spotty and inconsistent quality record. But they aren't alone in this respect; the Star Wars franchise is in a race to the bottom with the DCEU and I'm curiously waiting to see which of them successfully pulls out of their power dive first.

3 hours ago, zslane said:

Being set in the 1980s does not get me excited for the new Wonder Woman movie, in fact, it sorta makes me cringe. But I hope the movie is good despite that. I have a feeling, however, that it won't come close to capturing the magic and charm of the first film.

I really liked WW so I am pessimistally optimistic that this movie may possibly be good. They can do it if they don't decide to fix things.

3 hours ago, zslane said:

But they aren't alone in this respect; the Star Wars franchise is in a race to the bottom with the DCEU and I'm curiously waiting to see which of them successfully pulls out of their power dive first.

From what I understand, they have fitted JATO bottles for an extra bit of speed.

I liked Wonder Woman okay, this one at least looks like they are trying to have fun. Shazam (it's Captain Marvel dammit) I really liked. Aquaman was fun too.

I have hope. They just need to pull off a good Superman movie. Green Lantern Corps could also be really fun. The key is "fun", I should not need an antidepressant watching a Superhero movie. 

20 minutes ago, Iuz the Evil said:

Green Lantern Corps

I understand how people would like to see a good GL anything, but for me the fun cool GL was utterly destroyed when they transformed him from magical to scifi, then from unique to just  one of millions of GLs blanketing the universe.  From fun and unique to just another extra.

20 minutes ago, Iuz the Evil said:

The key is "fun", I should not need an antidepressant watching a Superhero movie. 

And we have a winner.  This. 

But you have to remember, people don't want superHEROES.  They want dark dark gritty we kill'ums like Deadpool or Superman running concentration camps for supers that will not abide with his interpretation of whatever.

It's been over 15 years since I found a comic about superHEROES.  And when I did, it was short lived as the writer decided to "get edgy" or to "be relevant" to real life and turned it into another turd. 

Next time you ask someone who their favorite HERO is, don't be surprised if they say Deadpool......

1 hour ago, Iuz the Evil said:

I liked Wonder Woman okay, this one at least looks like they are trying to have fun. Shazam (it's Captain Marvel dammit) I really liked. Aquaman was fun too.

I have hope. They just need to pull off a good Superman movie. Green Lantern Corps could also be really fun. The key is "fun", I should not need an antidepressant watching a Superhero movie. 

Opinions vary, but like you I am cautiously optimistic about the DC movie franchise.  WW and Aquaman were solid, so I feel as though they're trending up.

It's never too late for the suits to screw it up though.

6 hours ago, zslane said:

So far it is still all just scatter-shot material that does not fit together well (if at all),

So what?  If the individual movies are solid and worth watching, why do they need to tie together for a larger universe?

That worked for Marvel, but it's not the only way to make good movies, even good superhero movies.  When the going gets tough for Aquaman, why doesn't he just call in Superman for an assist, if everything is connected?

18 hours ago, Hugh Neilson said:

If the individual movies are solid and worth watching, why do they need to tie together for a larger universe?

That's a fair question.

First, I'd agree that if all the individual movies were worth watching then maybe being tied into a larger shared universe wouldn't be necessary. But that's not really been the case overall. Most of the DCEU movies have been either bad or really mediocre, and the promise of being connected to something bigger and better would at least be something viewers could walk out of theaters looking forward to.

Second, the MCU has sort of trained movie-goers to think of inter-connected sub-franchises as the norm for quality superhero content. Everything else is just what you watch (maybe) to hold you over until the next MCU movie. That's not a good position to be in as a competing movie studio. Having a rival shared universe that audiences can't decide which they love more is likely to be the only way to remain relevant in this space long term.

2 hours ago, slikmar said:

I thought this was an excellent post written by one of the guys who does Star Power. and this seems the most appropriate spot for it.

I feel the same way he does. We (as fans) just need to get Superman into the hands of a superfan (ala Kevin Feige), someone who loves Superman's original ethos of hopeful, compassion idealism, and wants to deliver it undiluted by contemporary cynicism.

Of course, to the suits at WB that would sound redundant since they already have Wonder Woman carrying that flag. So in order to set Superman apart from Wonder Woman, they will continue to desperately look for a way to "re-imagine" him so that he "fits in" to today's jaded and complicated age and speaks to the current generation who thinks hopeful, compassionate idealism is woefully old-fashioned and hopelessly naive.

17 minutes ago, zslane said:

I feel the same way he does. We (as fans) just need to get Superman into the hands of a superfan (ala Kevin Feige), someone who loves Superman's original ethos of hopeful, compassion idealism, and wants to deliver it undiluted by contemporary cynicism.

Of course, to the suits at WB that would sound redundant since they already have Wonder Woman carrying that flag. So in order to set Superman apart from Wonder Woman, they will continue to desperately look for a way to "re-imagine" him so that he "fits in" to today's jaded and complicated age and speaks to the current generation who thinks hopeful, compassionate idealism is woefully old-fashioned and hopelessly naive.

That's where I get that maybe instead of doing the godlike being of power, switch him back to the jounalist first, superhero second character. You could even back down his power level some (maybe close to Shazam's). I would LOVE to see them do a movie where most of it he and Lois are actually doing the work of reporters. His advantages just adding to it, especially as she knows who he is. Part of the "Women First" pendulum swing, to me, is that they took that away from him and made it so Lois is that and he just rescues her. Even Reeves did some of it. the Lois and Clark show was really good at it. It would even allow you to cut down on costs, if he wasn't having to be Superman for 75% of the movie. You could use Intergang (I do not want to see a Lex Luthor again for a bit) as a villain.

On a different tack, I am avoiding the Crisis thread, as I plan to record and binge watch it, but one thing that hit me. If you combine all the "universes" including Black Lightning (though stories say that one won't be there), how does the DEO, Argus and ASA settle who has jurisdictions.

45 minutes ago, slikmar said:

That's where I get that maybe instead of doing the godlike being of power, switch him back to the jounalist first, superhero second character. You could even back down his power level some (maybe close to Shazam's). I would LOVE to see them do a movie where most of it he and Lois are actually doing the work of reporters. His advantages just adding to it, especially as she knows who he is. Part of the "Women First" pendulum swing, to me, is that they took that away from him and made it so Lois is that and he just rescues her. Even Reeves did some of it. the Lois and Clark show was really good at it. It would even allow you to cut down on costs, if he wasn't having to be Superman for 75% of the movie. You could use Intergang (I do not want to see a Lex Luthor again for a bit) as a villain.

On a different tack, I am avoiding the Crisis thread, as I plan to record and binge watch it, but one thing that hit me. If you combine all the "universes" including Black Lightning (though stories say that one won't be there), how does the DEO, Argus and ASA settle who has jurisdictions.

I am not convinced that they are necessarily planning ending with a single universe.  That is where the comic book went with it, but latter DC went back to having a multiverse.  Multiverses are just fun, so why throw away a perfectly good one.

However, if they do go to a single universe, their will probably be only super watchdog organization, and as far as most people are concerned that will be as it always has been.  Personally, I would go with Argus for that role since I can envision both Alex Danvers and Odell working for different divisions of Argus, but I can't envision them in each others organizations.