DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

Well, J.J. Abrams kinda ruined Star Trek and Star Wars. This does not bode well for the tattered remnants of the DCEU. Everyone, including Warner Brothers, should just dispense with the idea that there is, or ever will be, a single cohesive DC cinematic universe. Without a WB/DC equivalent to Kevin Feige it's just not gonna happen. And no, a loosely (barely) connected collection of superhero movies do not a cinematic universe make. WB/DC would be better off just sticking to what they do best: animated tv shows and video game licensing, and leave the cinematic universes to the professionals.

21 minutes ago, zslane said:

Well, J.J. Abrams kinda ruined Star Trek and Star Wars. This does not bode well for the tattered remnants of the DCEU. Everyone, including Warner Brothers, should just dispense with the idea that there is, or ever will be, a single cohesive DC cinematic universe. Without a WB/DC equivalent to Kevin Feige it's just not gonna happen. And no, a loosely (barely) connected collection of superhero movies do not a cinematic universe make. WB/DC would be better off just sticking to what they do best: animated tv shows and video game licensing, and leave the cinematic universes to the professionals.

The thing that gets me about J.J. Abrams is that he explicitly will say in interviews that he doesn't honor the source material then goes on to make movies which crap all over the source material.

I have no clue as to why Warner Brothers thinks J.J. Abrams will save DC by crapping all over DC's superheroes.

The problem so far has been that their superhero films have been crapping all over their superheroes. So their solution to end that is bring in the "self-proclaimed king of crapping all over source material" so that their movies will stop crapping all over their source material?

< boggles >

I would disagree with the statement he ruined those 2 franchises. I liked Force Awakens and thought the reboot of Star Trek was needed and decent and liked the casting of those characters. He wasn't in charge of Last Jedi, someone whose whole purpose seemed to be to deconstruct everything done prior was.

Now, him being in charge of the DCEU, I have no idea if he has any ties to the comics, so its a wait an see.

Abrams' first Star Trek movie wasn't terrible, but archer's right, the guy doesn't understand what makes Star Trek Star Trek.  HIs aren't Star Trek movies:  they don't examine the human condition; they don't turn a critical eye toward social issues or even posit a positive view of the future.  They're slam-bang popcorn action flicks with Star Trek trappings.  The Force Awakens wasn't a terrible movie but it's really just a remake, so he gets scant credit from me for that.  

His production company might find a way to make some good DC movies but I wouldn't let him personally near one.

Neither the first Star Trek reboot film nor The Force Awakens built a strong foundation for a franchise. In that sense he "kinda ruined" them, at least in my view and the view of many others. Handing him the reins of the clinically dead DCEU is not a solution, it is a eulogy.

IMO that's what some of the best Marvel movies have done -- present quality self-contained stories, and any connections to the wider setting are either logical in context or incidental bits of color.

Not for the Avengers movies, of course, since their whole point was to cross over characters as part of a larger narrative.

2 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I don't think there's any need for a shared carefully constructed cinematic universe.  Just make good, fun movies, and once in a while you can have crossovers, who cares if they're all part of one big ongoing story or not?

People just keep saying things like this....

It is like they forget it is 2019 and we are talking about Hollywood...

:whistle:

It is like they forget it is 2019 and we are talking about Hollywood

Yeah, well there is that.  Let's set the wayback machine shall we?

1999, what was out in theaters?
Fight Club

Being John Malkovich
The Matrix

Blast From the Past

Office Space

The Mummy...

New York Stories

Christmas Vacation

Major League

Say Anything

Batman

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

License to Kill

Akira...

Mad Max

The Warriors

Alien

Quadrophenia

The Jerk

Star Trek: The Motion Picture...

True Grit

Midnight Cowboy

The Italian Job

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid...

Well, you get the idea

After the first Avengers movie came out, the template for a successful cinematic superhero franchise was drawn, and WB/DC accepted the challenge to do the same for their own properties, believing that "Anything Marvel can do we can do better," something they've taken as institutional dogma since the 1960s. It is only in the wake of miserable failure and an inability to even come close to what Marvel accomplished that they--and their fans--adopted the "Okay, well, we don't have to do what Marvel does," position. Conceding defeat to Marvel was never DC's way in the past, but apparently it is now since they realize they simply can't compete in the cinematic franchise space. I guess once you realize you can't win, the best you can hope to do in order to save face is pretend that you aren't even trying to compete.

DC had the disadvantage that they had to live up to what Marvel had already accomplished.  You get to experiment a lot more in comics where the expectations are low.  Probably movies too - Supers performed so well before Iron Man, right?  And compare it to the Hulk movie released around the same time - Superheroes were not yet the Golden Child of Cinema.

Mark Waid was once asked how he made the Wally West Flash so popular in the mid-'80s.  Simple - he could do what he wanted, because no one expected much of the book.  Flash had already been cancelled in the recent past.  He stated he could not do it now, because the editors and owners would not approve significant changes to the character, or taking other significant creative risks.

I believe MCU got a lot less studio oversight and interference early on than DC ended up with once the stakes had been raised.

19 minutes ago, Hugh Neilson said:

I believe MCU got a lot less studio oversight and interference early on than DC ended up with once the stakes had been raised.

IIRC there was some kind of power struggle between Feige and the suits sometime around the first Thor, in which Feige somehow prevailed.  That set the stage for the first Cap and then Avengers.

6 hours ago, Old Man said:

IIRC there was some kind of power struggle between Feige and the suits sometime around the first Thor, in which Feige somehow prevailed.  That set the stage for the first Cap and then Avengers.

Ike Perlmutter, the guy who owned Marvel, was a producer on the movies. He didn't want any movies with a female lead or ethnic heroes like the Black Panther, and he wanted the Inhumans pushed up front. Feige got the movie company placed directly under Disney and had Perlmutter transferred to the television side which at that time was Agents of Shield and the Inhumans television show. I don't know if he had anything to do with the Netflix shows but Scott Buck did the first season of Iron Fist and then went to the Inhumans, and my understanding is both things were a Charley Foxtrot before he brought his own perspective into it. 

CES

On 9/29/2019 at 2:44 AM, Lord Liaden said:

I get the impression that many moviegoers, including myself, are taking each DC film on a wait-and-see basis. Comic-fandom response, critical response, and popular box-office have been highly irregular for those movies, and Wonder Woman is the only one for which those three factors solidly aligned.

I think you're right. Most folks TRUST the MCU movie verse, it earned it. DCU ? Mixed bag and thus more caution, though Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Shazam bought it a lot of good will with me. 

Of course, the Joker Movie coming out has it's own problems now... causing controversy and concern

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/warner-bros-says-joker-is-not-an-endorsement-of-violence-2019-09-25/

7 hours ago, Hermit said:

I think you're right. Most folks TRUST the MCU movie verse, it earned it. DCU ? Mixed bag and thus more caution, though Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Shazam bought it a lot of good will with me. 

Of course, the Joker Movie coming out has it's own problems now... causing controversy and concern

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/warner-bros-says-joker-is-not-an-endorsement-of-violence-2019-09-25/

I wonder if discussions of the movie and of what I refer to as "Joker Syndrome" (the belief that any mentally ill person you meet is an inherent threat) belong in another thread.

I love Margot Robbie in that role. She just does such a great job of the casual crazy for it. It's a shame, because I would have loved to see her play her Harley off of Heath's Joker. She does what he does, seems to speak normal and calmly, but as you listen you realize she is seriously scary crazy.

Movie looks like could be a fun violent romp, will probably see it.

2 hours ago, zslane said:

I'm totally underwhelmed by the trailer. I'm not sure I would even bother to watch it for free on Netflix (not that it will ever show up there, but you get my point).

Yep.  HQ is one of my favorite characters and I really enjoyed BoP. 

But this grungy re-imagining is a hard pass.  I do think Margot Robbie could have played an awesome HQ given the chance.  But that was destroyed when they took DC down grungy lane and abandoned the actual characters and pretty much everything that made them popular.