Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

School Board Candidate Says Doctors Who Help Trans Kids ‘Should Be Hanging’ From Trees

A conservative school board candidate in Santa Rosa County, Florida, called for doctors who provide gender-affirming care to children to be lynched.  

“These doctors that are going along with mutilating these children and prescribing hormone blockers to these kids, in my opinion, they should be hanging from the nearest tree,” said Alisabeth Janai Lancaster on Monday, before the audience burst into applause.

In her now viral speech, Lancaster said she’s against “social engineering projects” and “ideologies” that “do not belong in the school platform.” She listed critical race theory, or CRT, as an example.

3 hours ago, Ragitsu said:

"Hold my guts that are presently spilling from my abdomen because of a stupid ******* war that could have been prevented."

A man came up to me and said
"I'd like to change your mind
By hitting it with a rock, " he said,
"Though I am not unkind."
We laughed at his little joke
And then I happily walked away
And hit my head on the wall of the jail
Where the two of us live today.

48 minutes ago, Dr. MID-Nite said:

I already know how it works. I want to know how to stop it.

If you could stop parents/parental figures from passing on fascistic beliefs to the next generation, you'd slow down its propagation...

...good luck with that particular endeavor.

4 hours ago, Ragitsu said:

You are not a true enterprising American, Joe; where you see a (highly subjective) lack of optimism, these pillars of the community correctly perceive a prime business opportunity.

I forgot that our most important right is to be a human resource. Withholding that from a child would be criminal, actually.

The most disturbing aspect of this, for me, isn't that it was happening.  Corporate managers may do just about anything they think they can get away with.  The ongoing safety violations say a lot.

No, what bothers me more is the response.  Local cops don't have jurisdiction;  I get that, it's a state and federal law issue.  But when they kick it up the chain?  It's lost.  Alabama AG refuses to comment;  Alabama labor department may not have been notified.  It's somewhat similar to the Uvalde breakdown, where chain of command was a mess.  There's a big question in my mind whether the state AG was reticent to do anything because the plant has massive economic, and therefore political, clout.

Numerous people need to be in jail;  quite a few others deserve to be terminated at least, for failure to oversee...assuming they didn't know.  If they knew, then it's also criminal.  

13 hours ago, Old Man said:

Capitalism: "Challenge accepted."

Ehh...this is a drop in the bucket.

Think Duke Energy's stunt in California...hard to believe that was 20 years ago, but it was.  Or the Texas utilities, and the events in February 2021.  A big culprit was failure to winterize...cost-cutting, there.  Then, of course, exorbitant price gouging because they could.

2 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Ehh...this is a drop in the bucket.

Think Duke Energy's stunt in California...hard to believe that was 20 years ago, but it was.  Or the Texas utilities, and the events in February 2021.  A big culprit was failure to winterize...cost-cutting, there.  Then, of course, exorbitant price gouging because they could.

It probably doesn't help that Texas is now considered a go-to region for bitcoin mining: https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/crypto/can-fragile-texas-power-grid-handle-cryptomining-gold-rush-rcna15726

Since China shut down cryptomining, the U.S. in general, and Texas in particular, have become venues of choice for the industry. Lee Bratcher, founder of the Texas Blockchain Council, a lobbying group, estimated that there are now 40 cryptomining companies operating in the state, including the 10 large ones, double the number just two years ago.

The energy crypto miners use puts “an almost unprecedented burden” on the Texas grid, according to Ben Hertz-Shargel, global head of Grid Edge, a unit of Wood Mackenzie, an energy consulting firm. Mining “pushes the system closer to dangerous system peaks at all times,” he told NBC News. “It is completely inessential and consuming physical resources, time and money that should be going to decarbonize and strengthen the grid.”

The Texas grid has come under pressure before. During winter storm Uri in February 2021, for example, demand for power exceeded supply; over 200 people died, most from hypothermia. Unlike other electricity systems, the Texas grid does not connect to other states’ grids; that means it cannot receive power from other areas in emergencies.

Because of their high demand for electricity, crypto miners raise costs for other consumers of power, Hertz-Shargel said. And, on the Texas grid, miners can get paid for powering down during peak demand periods, like the one that recently hit the state. Miners and other industrial customers with these types of arrangements receive revenues for not using electricity; the costs of those revenues are passed on to other electricity customers.

19 hours ago, BNakagawa said:

You may not like it, but this is what peak capitalism looks like.

If so, peak capitalism looks just like 18th-19th century mercantilist factory work, or an awful lot of the rest of economic history. If there is a vulnerable source of labor, someone will exploit it. Feel disgust at this incident, but don't feel surprise, or imagine that it's a symptom of some special evil of modern capitalism in the USA.

As UncleVlad pointed out, the story here is the Alabama authorities' curious blindness and disinterest. Or maybe not so curious.

Dean Shomshak

8 hours ago, DShomshak said:

If so, peak capitalism looks just like 18th-19th century mercantilist factory work, or an awful lot of the rest of economic history. If there is a vulnerable source of labor, someone will exploit it. Feel disgust at this incident, but don't feel surprise, or imagine that it's a symptom of some special evil of modern capitalism in the USA.

As UncleVlad pointed out, the story here is the Alabama authorities' curious blindness and disinterest. Or maybe not so curious.

Dean Shomshak

Somewhere, Marx and Engels' ghosts are going: "told you so".

The obvious response, of course, is "what about Stalin etc?", but whataboutery only lasts for so long. And in any case, why were all the communists on the side of the Civil Rights movement, while most of the anti-communists were on the side of the Klan, or at least their more "moderate" associates?

This is the Age of Marx.