Coronavirus

Steve

29 minutes ago, megaplayboy said:

It's sort of mind-boggling that we're on track for maybe passing WW2 in total US deaths by Inauguration Day(also the anniversary of the discovery of the first case here), and a significant chunk of the population still believes it's an overblown hoax.  

Inauguration Day is 6 weeks or so.  The death rate would have to about quadruple.  I believe the data generally shows about a 3 week lag between new case rates and new death rates;  that means our death rates are roughly correlative to case rates from late November.  Case rates are higher today, but only by about 25%.  

The HHS data shows the broader concern.  The *national* assessment is about 75% of all hospital beds are occupied...and of that, almost 20% is due to nothing but Covid-19.  ICU utilization is estimated at 63%.  This is across the entire health care system.  Inevitably, the distribution of cases will have peaks and valleys...so 75% across the board suggests an *alarming* number of areas that are near, at, or OVER capacity and making do with temporary measures.

So by whatever measure you want to read...yes, still thinking it's overblown or a hoax is simply a disconnection from reality.  The fact that it's as widespread as it is...or seems to be, as I think there's also a large subset of the protesters that don't care about the severity.  Their motive could be political (I'll oppose ANYTHING the wrong people say) or even anarchic (I'll oppose any directive from the government, PERIOD).

On 12/9/2020 at 8:29 PM, megaplayboy said:

It's sort of mind-boggling that we're on track for maybe passing WW2 in total US deaths by Inauguration Day(also the anniversary of the discovery of the first case here), and a significant chunk of the population still believes it's an overblown hoax.  

On 12/9/2020 at 9:19 PM, unclevlad said:

Inauguration Day is 6 weeks or so.  The death rate would have to about quadruple.  I believe the data generally shows about a 3 week lag between new case rates and new death rates;  that means our death rates are roughly correlative to case rates from late November.  Case rates are higher today, but only by about 25%. 

Not sure where you're getting that "quadruple" from.  We're currently at around 300,000 total coronavirus deaths in the US, with a death rate around 3,000 per day.  Total US military deaths in WW2 was about 407,000.  At this rate, we'll hit that in about 36 days, or just over 5 weeks.  Even if the rate drops to around 2,500 per day, we still hit 407,000 in just over 6 weeks.