Coronavirus

Steve

22 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

What I don't follow is the logic that states everything will disappear for good and the businesses that shut down will never come back -- and that even if it is true no new businesses will sprout up in their place.

In my view, the good news is that we're still producing food, water, power, and all the other essentials, so the basics of civilization don't look set to go away anytime soon.

And if government supports people and businesses during the downturn, everyone with diminished income will get to pay their bills and keep their heads above water. So that keeps factories, shops, and homes in the same hands they were in before the crisis.

And if that government support for businesses is predicated on people remaining on the payrolls through the crisis, those businesses also won't have to lose their trained workforce.

After the crisis passes, we'll have a lot of pent up demand for all those non-essentials that we couldn't get during the crisis. People will go back to work providing those things and will therefore have money to buy them as well.

So it seems as though this could just be a rough period after which we're likely to see a nice rebound and a return to growth -- if we handle the crisis well.

If we handle it poorly, of course, it could get pretty darned bad. Congress can easily throw vast sums of money out the window if they listen to the corporatists in both parties instead of taking care of the middle and working classes. And if people keep going out despite stay-at-home orders, more people will get the virus, and more of them will die because the hospital beds are all full.

I hope we handle this crisis better than we've been handling things in general.

Joking aside, I had a bit of a problem today. I originally put down "git of a problem", which is OK because the stupid git in question is me. (I am the only one who gets to call me stupid.)

I received a small check in the mail today. Not a big deal, only $20. But of course you can't spend a check. You have to deposit it first. Sadly, I do not live within walking distance of my credit union (who does)? So I did two idiotic things:

1. I got on a bus to an ATM that would take my check, not realizing Tri-Met (Portland's transit agency) had put out an edict that the buses would run, but only for "essential trips".

2. I left the check on top of the dresser back home.

So I got off the bus, went over to the ATM, and panicked when I could not find the check. My line of thinking was that what I normally do when I receive it in a small check is stick in my breast pocket until I could deposit it. I thought I'd done that -- but since I was wearing a T-shirt (something I rarely do) I had no chest pocket.

I was relieved to eventually retrieve the check, and it's in my wallet. But using the bus that way when it was not essential -- not cool, Michael. Trips aren't exactly rationed -- bus trips are not TP, which we can (and should) ration. There's no way for the driver to tell WHY a person is traveling despite a stay-at-home order. But it's embarassing as Heck. And we all know how embarrassing Heck is (That's all -- bathing in lukewarm water for eternity? I was a terrible person! Don't I even get a proper damnation?). Is it worth leaving home in a mass quarantine to cash a $20 check?

Well.

State of New Mexico just issued a stay-at-home order.  ALL non-essential businesses to close.  Might be viewed as too early...but....NY Times has some lag in gathering their counts.  They show 65 cases.  State dept of health says it's 83.  So the scope is increasing way too fast.  Also remember, New Mexico is a sun belt state, and we have a LOT of retirees.

My mother has been receiving a few National Health Service texts. The latest one says she is in the at risk group and should stay home for 12 weeks.

Boris has gone power mad and is now shutting down other businesses and libraries. He also decreed that only essential visits should be made i.e. shopping and one bout of exercise a day.

A couple a few doors down have offered to get my mother any food she needs. They left a note on the windscreen of the car.

My girlfriend, an RN, sent me a Marco Polo video last night. As of last night, she's officially caring for Covid patients--so she's quarantined. She won't be able to visit for a while. Bummer. At least we can send videos back and forth.

Meanwhile, I am now officially under house arrest by Governor Brown, so my Hudson City Wild Cards campaign is on hiatus for a while. Unless we figure out how to play online....

29 minutes ago, sinanju said:

My girlfriend, an RN, sent me a Marco Polo video last night. As of last night, she's officially caring for Covid patients--so she's quarantined. She won't be able to visit for a while. Bummer. At least we can send videos back and forth.

Meanwhile, I am now officially under house arrest by Governor Brown, so my Hudson City Wild Cards campaign is on hiatus for a while. Unless we figure out how to play online....

Google hangouts works pretty well for that.  

My state now has 201 confirmed cases, and 5 recoveries so far. I don't think non-essential businesses have officially been ordered closed yet, but lots are doing so voluntarily. My company's owner just closed my office down today—I lugged my tower, monitor, and backup power supply home and set everything up at my desk here. I'd hoped we could weather things out at work, but sending everyone home is probably for the best.

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

Proof, I suppose, that nature can fix itself if we stop mucking about with it for long enough.

How long do you suppose we have to stay quarantined before we make a dent in global climate change?

Make a true change?  As pointed out, too long.

However, present direct, compelling evidence that man's activities are causing widespread damage?  That might be possible.  It's a tremendous opportunity for environmental impact assessment;  it's just horrible that it had to come about like this.  

It could be a tremendous, horrific, very twisted irony that, in fact, this pandemic might ultimately save us from ourselves.