Coronavirus

Steve

18 minutes ago, Cancer said:

HAH!  Scored a jar of Red Star* and a 4-pack of TP!  I feel like I've had a good turn in a game of Heads & Feds.

* Active dry yeast.

For a second I thought you were talking about Jamaican beer, but then I remembered that's Red Stripe.

The UK epidemiologist Neil Ferguson that originally predicted 500,000 deaths in the UK with mitigation measures now says it will probably be under 20,000 and many of those are so sick they would have died by the end of the year anyway.

That's a hell of a reduction.

Don't trust politicians!  Trust the media.

Don't trust the media!  Trust the scientists.

Don't trust the scientists?  :(

1 hour ago, ScottishFox said:

The UK epidemiologist Neil Ferguson that originally predicted 500,000 deaths in the UK with mitigation measures now says it will probably be under 20,000 and many of those are so sick they would have died by the end of the year anyway.

That's a hell of a reduction.

Don't trust politicians!  Trust the media.

Don't trust the media!  Trust the scientists.

Don't trust the scientists?  :(

Hmm.  My recollection was that he said a prediction of 400,000 deaths "was not absurd" if the government stuck to its mitigation strategy rather than actively seeking to shut it down.   He has now, like a good scientist, revised his estimates in light of new data.

I would stick with the problem that the media is there to make money, not to educate or inform.  If they achieve all three then it is a happy coincidence.

Trust the scientists when they are talking science, when they stray from science they are just another opinion.

Doc

20 minutes ago, Doc Democracy said:

I would stick with the problem that the media is there to make money, not to educate or inform. 

_so much_ this right here.  I do t know why such a vast number of people fail to grasp that the news is like any other television show, website, magazine, or tabloid: the ultimate goal is get as many eyeballs as possible on the commercials, period.  They just seem to have more freedom to determine how they are going to do it. 

British people all over the country have just gone out and clapped the NHS.  Will put a video on YouTube and link here what my street looked like.

Doc

Well, I ballsed that up, finger over camera on phone, lots of clapping, no video. 😞 Am sure there will be lots of coverage from UK media outlets.

Twitter has lots of examples, folk better than me at using their phone!:

https://mobile.twitter.com/hashtag/ClapforNHS?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Just got done with my usual shopping.  At the store I went to this time, no paper goods...not a big surprise.  No eggs.  But very good on bread and all kinds of meats...scored a 10 lb bag of frozen leg quarters that will be turned into a couple separate batches of soup stock too.  And some beef 7-bone roast packages were 30%;  those will be getting roasted soon, to make a batch of beef stock.  And even scored some more food containers with screw-on lids, which I like a lot more than the press-on.  Have quite a few but I'll freeze up some of these stock batches....

Also saw that the Wal Mart in my area actually had a good stock of paper stuff when the person was in there.  How long it lasted?  No clue.  But I'm hoping that maybe, just maybe, the crunch is easing *some*.

24 minutes ago, Simon said:

The US now has more active cases than anywhere else in the world.
#winning

Look at that, +13,000 in one day!  And we're crushing China on a per capita basis. 

If we use China as a lower limit for fatality rate, there are 2100 Americans right now who are already dead and just don't know it yet.

9 minutes ago, death tribble said:

And Simon, how are you ?

I'm fine - Gen-X and have worked from home for over 10 years now...I was made for this.  The town I'm in is eerily quiet (normally a big tourist/vacation town), but the whole midwestern attitude is coming through and folks are really banding together and helping each other.  Nice to see.

On the personal front, may use this as the kick in the pants I needed to get a full forging operation setup at home (the "working museum" blacksmith shop that I normally forge in is closed until this all clears up)

1 minute ago, Old Man said:

Look at that, +13,000 in one day!  And we're crushing China on a per capita basis. 

If we use China as a lower limit for fatality rate, there are 2100 Americans right now who are already dead and just don't know it yet.

I'd look to Italy and Spain for fatality rate comparisons -- China attacked this with a massive effort to build hospital facilities, which helped to ease their death rate considerably.